Friday 8 August 2008

You Take My Self Control

A couple of days ago when I pulled out the weighing machine from under the sofa and stepped on it, I got a big shock. I was horror stricken to see that I had not only gained the “only” Kg that I had lost in the previous few weeks but had also gained a bit more than that. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t have an action plan to roll back the “gain”. *sigh*

When I reached my office that day, I realised that I have been having a lot of tea/coffee there lately. It hit me that each cup (read big mug) contains sugar, even if it is half a teaspoon. And every little contributes towards something huge. So I made a resolution not to have tea/coffee any more.

I wrote this down on a “disabled” post-it that lacked the sticky substance and required crutches of scotch tape to be posted somewhere. I couldn’t get the required prescribed treatment (scotch tape) for the only lonely post-it. So instead of getting posted on my monitor, it got stuck in my file folder. I kept looking at its red text on the yellow background from time to time. It even made me think twice (maybe thrice) each time I ordered tea. I managed to cut down a few mugs but couldn’t stop completely. With this entire struggle the day finally ended and I was knocked out.

The next morning, I was slightly sleep deprived (due to unscheduled load-shedding on the previous night). I went to the office, looked at my post-it banner, and resisted ordering coffee. But then I was asked if I wanted some. The first thing I did was to take out the post-it and tear it into tiny pieces. Threw the remains in the bin and then nodded yes to confirm my order. *evil laugh*

That was an exhibition of how little self control I can demonstrate. On being offered tea or coffee i can easily hum Laura Branigan's song 'Self Control' (You take my self, you take my self control). ;-) hehe

Oh well! Live is short and one CANNOT live without caffeine. Trust me. ;-)


No comments: