Thursday 14 August 2008

August 14, Pakistan's Independence Day

Today is August 14, 2008. It will be the same day in the rest of the world but here in Pakistan this date has a significance. 61 years ago Pakistan got its independence on the very same day. We have come a long way since then. Many things achieved and many present in the waiting list. Hope we achieve those soon.

I am not actually celebrating by hoisting the flag on the roof, putting up decorations or lighting candles. If anyone saw me, they wouldn't even think i am celebrating at all. But at heart i am happy and relieved that we have this country. Maybe it is not one of the top countries of the world, and maybe it is not the finest place to live (as considered by many). But at least it is mine. A place i can call homeland. A place that gives me identity.

Since my country has so many problems, it only gives me a chance to correct them and clean up as much mess as i can. I am not making any resolutions, never did and never will. I just hope that i am able to at least put a fraction of my words in action. I know that would make a huge difference.

Happy Independence Day to all us Pakistani people, all around the world! :-)

2 comments:

Kashif said...

Happy Independance Day!

Monazza Talha said...

Thanks. Same to you.