Friday 11 July 2008

Gilgit Trip: Back From the Departure Lounge to the Arrival Lounge

Well I kept waiting till 9:45 am to get the ‘board the plane now’ signal. My stomach kept grumbling and I continuously consoled it. As there was no announcement, I kept waiting some more. And then the clocks struck 10:00 when I got the dreadful news of flight cancellation due to bad weather in Pindi. I felt depressed. The tiny ray of light, shining deep inside me, suddenly blew out. There was darkness far and wide. I thought I even heard the shattering sound of my delicate ‘heart of glass’. (Enough with the dramatics I guess. ;-) hehe)

When I heard the announcement I was really shocked for a couple of minutes. I didn’t know what to do. Then slowly I regained my senses. The first thing i did was call my mother to break the news. Then I went up to one of the lady officials of PIA (Pakistan International Airlines) to ask her what was I supposed to do next and how could I take my baggage. She told me that the baggage could be collected from the Domestic Arrival Lounge (Man! They have so many lounges. :-P).

From that departure lounge, I knew of only two paths through there. One to get to the lounge after checking in and the other to get out of there in the open to get on the plane. I didn’t know how to the arrival lounge. So I was guided by the same lady. She told me to retrace my footsteps back into the check in area and then out the door. From there I was supposed to go towards the other lounge. She reassured that the PIA staff would be standing all the way, up to the arrival lounge to guide us ‘lost’ passengers.

I did as instructed up to a certain step, that was, till I got out of the check in area. My efficient mind then said, “You can collect the baggage any time. Why not get the seat reconfirmed for tomorrow as the Ticketing and Reservation window seems quite empty.” Paying heed to my efficient mind I rushed to that window and got my ticket reconfirmed. After that I located the Domestic Arrival Lounge, collected my dripping luggage and headed back home in a taxi. *sob sob*

No comments: