Monday 31 December 2007

Facing Cold Water is Nothing Less than Valiance

The geyser in my house has been broken for quite some days now. Since it is winter, taking a bath with cold water is simply out of question. Also when the water is so freezing it eats through the flesh, all the way down to the core of the bones. (Ok I am exaggerating a bit, but really, the water is really cold these days.)

To get hot water, we all have turned to the conventional methods of heating it on a stove and then using it in the washroom. My mother had been helpful in this regard and was heating water for us all. But yesterday, I stepped forward and made up my mind that I will perform this task myself. And so I did.

I took out Mum’s largest utensil, filled it with water, lit the stove and carefully placed the water filled container on the fire. It was a painful one hour wait before the water boiled. When I did I felt happy at my achievement. I took a bucket to the kitchen, poured the boiling water in it. I then took the bucket to the washroom where I turned on the cold water tap on it.

Just when I did that, I remembered that had not brought my clothes from the closet. So I left the tap of the gushing cold water just the way it was and ran to my room. I thought that I would be quick enough and would get my clothes in a wink of an eye. Thinking I was successful in my endeavor to act like “Flash” I returned to the washroom with my clothes.

And as soon as I went in, a piercing scream filled the entire house. It was nobody else’s but my very own. Most of you would have probably guessed by now the reason of my powerful shriek. But for those of you who are still baffled, let me explain.

Well my over efficient self had left the cold water running in the bucket. Since the water was boiling, I needed to mix ample amount of cold water to make it fit for taking a bath. What had happened was that the tap water was flowing very fast, and by the time I reached it, most of the hot water was gone. Instead of turning to a nice warm temperature, the water had turned cold. *Shudder*

I felt really stupid at that time. At the same time I burst into laughter as well at my dim-wittedness. It took me a couple of minutes to decide my next move. I opted for going into battle. And so I did. And when I got hit by the first cannon, i.e. a mug of cold water, another screech emerged, only to be silenced by ability to self-mute.

The battle was ferocious. Many a wounds were sustained by the brave soldier. She narrowly escaped from getting frozen, however, she survived. ;-)

No comments: