Saturday 22 January 2005

Eid ul Azha: My Experiance this Year

It was Eid yesterday. Eid ul Azha. We went to our Dadi Jan's (grandmother) place to celebrate it. There were three goats to be sacrificed. The butcher deceived us, a bit, by arriving late. Usually he comes around 9 in the morning but yesterday he came about 2 hours late. But thank God he came. ;)

Then the sacrifice started. First it was the white goat, then the black one, and the last one had a brown coat. My sister and I watched the whole process, as usual. (Well I missed it last year when I was in UK, but now that I am back to Pakistan there was no way I was going to miss it.)
One by one the goats were slaughtered, then hung upside down with a rope on a tree, and finally skinned. Then their insides were cleaned out and they were cut into tiny pieces. I have been seeing this process for such a long time, practically all my life, that I have come to believe that if I have to do it all by myself, I will not fail. ;) lol


Then came the stage of distributing the meat. (One part of the whole meat is distributed among the poor, not so financially fortunate people. A second part is distributed among the relatives, friends and acquaintances. The last part is for the person carrying out the sacrifice and his family.) It was put in plates and plastic bags for distribution.

For the first time in my life I was helping out in this. All these years I had just been a spectator, but yesterday my hands were in the meat and I was sorting it. My skin was actually in contact with the raw, uncooked meat. ;-) heheheeee

All this ended around lunch time. By that time I was totally exhausted. I wonder how exhausted my father, mother and grandmother would have been. But even though I was very tired. I had enjoyed every moment of the day, as always. :-)

No comments: