Friday 31 October 2008

Trance News: It Was Hard to Take the Day Off

All five of my Eid holidays were spent coughing and coughing and coughing some more. It was an inexplainably nasty cough. I took anti-biotics all 5 days but the medicine failed to budge the intensity of the cough. In all this juddering and jostling the five days holiday was over but i was in no position to go out of the house. I was restricted as i never knew when a sever pang of cough would attack and leave me helpless. ;-)

I was told by my family (Mum, Dad & Sisters) to take the following Monday off (the holidays were from Wednesday to Sunday of the previous week). I was very hesitant about it. The words of my Operations Manager and HR person were echoing in my mind. They had said that if somebody took the Monday off then instead of one, six holidays would be cut from the leave balance. Not having many leaves in store, i didn't want my satchel to get empty all too soon and all at once. ;-)

But then i had to do what i had to do. I didn't have much choice. So i called up my Operations Manager and told him about my sickness. I assured him that i will try to be there on Tuesday, but at the same time told him that I couldn't make a commitment due to my unpredictable medical condition. He seemed very much reluctant and hesitant to say 'yes' to my plea but he did.

During all this time that i was on phone with him, i felt like a criminal. I felt guilty of committing and offense or breaking a law by asking for leave that day. That was one of the hardest times, taking leave from office. Hope i never have to do it like this ever again.

3 comments:

Monazza Talha said...

Phew! Thank God that they slashed only one leave from my balance. This means my bundle of leaves is still half full. I'm getting all sorts of ideas in my head, like probably taking a leisure day off, and SOON. ;-) hehe

Kashif said...

Aoa Monazza,

Hope doing well.

You made good decision by taking an extra day off though i can understand that how hard it is to take such decision. the decision is good coz companies never take much care about the employees and instead interested more n more into their business especially commitments to its clients.

Hurraaaaaay! u managed to save your leaves:)

cheers,
K.

Monazza Talha said...

Walaikum Assalam Kashif,

Yes i am doing good now. Thanks for asking. Yes i have long realized that the company never owns an employee as much as the employee owns the company. So it is better not to get too attached and dedicated to the company (one should however remain dedicated to their work). One should think and take care of oneself as well.

Yeah i managed to save my leaves. ;-)