Thursday 16 December 2004

The wagon door ate my foot

After two weeks of a comfortable drive to work in a taxi and burning more than 2000 rupees I finally convinced myself to try my hand at the public transport. Even though I had tried to implement that plan a couple of times before, but somehow it never reached that stage. Most of the times my timing was the cause, as I would not be able to wake up as early as planned.

But finally today I did it. Woke up really early so that I could leave for office with ample time at my hands. I even left the house on time (oh well, 10 minutes later than planned.) After that my aim was to reach the wagon stop on time, so I paced forward quickly. But I had to come to a halt for a long time when I had to cross 'the road'. That road is one of the roads going into one of the busiest crossroads in my city Rawalpindi, the Chaklala Scheme 3 Chowk.

I stood there in hope that maybe I would be able to beat the next bunch of cars. But it never happened. Well not anytime soon. Took me around 4 minutes to cross one half of the double road, and another 3 to cross the next half. Finally I was on the other side. But that was not the end. I still had to walk a couple of minutes to reach my 'stop'. And finally I reached there too, only to wait for another couple of minutes.

I was loosing minutes on every nook, corner and crossroad. Time was running out and I was about to have a panic attack when I saw a wagon with empty front seats stopping. [Front seats (the seats beside the driver) are reserved for females and can be taken over my males if the males need those. :P ] I didn't even rush towards it as I could see two empty spaces but I was the only female there.
But then I hurried a bit in fear that the wagon might leave without me.

I reached it and asked the conductor if that wagon would go to 'secretariat'. At first he didn't understand but after I asked again he said it would go to 'sectrait'. I knew instantly that that was the right wagon regardless of the fact that the conductor's pronunciation was FAR different than mine. ;)

I was just climbing in with one foot in and one still on the footrest when that "
@#$%'" conductor banged the door on it. I was going to scream but didn't. Instead I gave pushed the door, pulled my foot in and gave him an angry stare. But Mr. Conductor thought it was something fun. The instant I stared at him, his pearly whites came out and didn't go in until after a while.

God I was angry. Blood gushed to my eyes. I felt like killing that 'door slammer'. Anger built up in me like an atom bomb explosion. But then as quickly as it had built up, it fizzled out. I cooled down and forgave the offense. After all he didn't do that on purpose. At least that's what I think. ;)

3 comments:

Monazza Talha said...

Seems this is not going to be my last post related to my public transport encounters. ;) Even today i wanted to tell the world what happend, but couldn't find time. But will do it shortly. ;)

Funny! I am commenting on my own blog. ;) he he heeee

Anonymous said...

hahaha...the funniest thing is that I read ure title as "the dragon ate my foot"...and for a few seconds i was like...huh????...very interesting otherwise ::)...spirz!

Monazza Talha said...

When i read your comment, i also burst into laughter. My imagination at once played a role and showed me a scene with my foot in the mouth of a dragon. With the dragons teeth chewing on my foot, it was more painful than the wagon door banging on it. ;-)heheheee

Happy reading! :)