Thursday 30 June 2005

Ding Dong The Net is Dead!

It really is. I am not kidding. In Pakistan it is dead. Well let’s say it's almost dead.

It started when a telephonic/internet meeting was going on. I was silent participant as well. It was about a demo to be given by our CEO in USA to the clients in the USA. We, the Pakistani office people were supposed to listen to what was happening. And to look at the demo being given via Net Meeting.

I was getting late, so around 8:45 pm I asked my PM to allow me to leave. He did. I was just turning of my own PC, when the call and all was disconnected. I thought maybe it’s a temporary problem. I left in 10 minutes.

At home around 12 mid night, I tried connecting to the Internet. It would connect but no pages would be served. I disconnected and connected the net a couple of times but in vain. The disconnection of net in the office came to my mind. I just had a thought that maybe the whole Internet of Pakistan is down. Having the thought alive in my mind I went to sleep.

The next morning when I reached the office, my fears were confirmed. Got the news that the submarine cable, somewhere near Karachi, has been damaged. Also heard that engineers are supposed to come from Singapore to fix the cable.

That time, all I wondered was, when will the Internet finally live!

No comments: