Wednesday 29 April 2009

Who Celebrated Earth Day? (April 22, 2009)

Last week on the same day (Wednesday) on April 22, 2009, it was Earth Day. A day to appreciate the environment on Earth. Also a day to think of ways to conserve and preserve everything on the Earth related to nature and the environment.

I for one spent that day just like any other day. I did not waste any water while brushing my teeth. I switched off all bulbs and electrical appliances while leaving a room. I tried not to litter. I didn’t harm any animals or plants (might have killed a few mosquitoes though). I used both sides of the paper while taking my printouts. (I did, however, blog about that day on the very same day, but I am not counting it in right now.)

I did all this that day and do it every other day. I also wish and believe that I will continue to do so in the coming days as well. I might even get better at conserving resources and preserving the environment.

But I am wondering how many people around me (let alone in the whole world) do all this, and do it with a conscious effort. I do not want to boast as I have not done a great thing. I also do not want to preach to anybody to take care of such little stuff. But I do wish that everybody realizes that this is important. Every little action we do, counts. If it is a positive one, we will surely be adding to the preservation efforts of Earth. Our negative actions might not show instant results but they will pile up and add towards the destruction of our planetary environment.

I wish every day was Earth day and was keenly celebrated by all earthlings in a true sense. This Earth is the only Earth we have. So we need to think of it as our very own and protect it.

No comments: