Monday 7 March 2005

Keep Your Right Hand Free

Yes, do exactly what I have said in my title whenever you go for an interview. Because if it is not free, it can land you in an awkward situation. ;-)

Well, I am speaking out of my own experience. Last week on Friday I had an interview at a company. I went there carrying my handbag on my shoulder, a tissue in my left hand and a pen in my right. There at the gate I had to get a Visitor Card. I got it but while doing that I grabbed all the small stuff (the tissue, the pen and now the visitor card) in my right hand and went in. There inside the company I sat and waited for the contact person (or whatever you call the person you are supposed to go and meet at a company for an interview).

And then the person appeared. Usually it does not matter for me whether I have my hands full or not, because that person is almost always a male. But this time is was a female. She approached me and while exchanging greetings she extended her arm towards me for a handshake.

I extended my loaded arm towards her. Then suddenly I realized that and took it back. Then I took the services of my left hand to put that stuff there. And then once again I extended my, this time empty, right hand towards her. All this time (even though it was a couple of seconds but seemed longer) her hand was frozen in the air, waiting for mine to finally get vacant, so that we could get over with the handshake.

She must have felt irritated but still she shook my hand warmly. And so finally I could follow her into the conference room to get butchered. ;-)

PS: If some people are still wondering why it wouldn’t have mattered if the contact person were a male, here is the answer: Males do not shake hands with females in Pakistan. ;-) heheheeeee

No comments: