Saturday 16 October 2004

Never Knew Coffee Could Be So Bitter!

When me and my friend Mani went to Scotland, we sort of just hurried. We never actually had time to plan out important things like 'food'. Thanks to Mani she made some rice for us which would stay preserved outside the fridge for a day or two. But we still had to have breakfast.

The day we reached Edinburgh, we tried to explore as much as we could on foot. And so we did. On our way back, we took a bread from a shop for breakfast. Thinking we have taken care of the breakfast, we returned to our hostel room.

The next day Mani tried out the bread first. And to our dismay, it was stale. Hard luck I guess. So around 9 in the morning we set out, like birds after worms, looking for breakfast.

Just outside our hostel, there was a small restaurant. We went in for coffee.

Mani ordered 'Espresso'. Not knowing what I was getting into, I said I will take the same. When the waitress was bringing our cups on a tray, after seeing them, I said to myself, "What small cups they have?". But I beared with it.

And then came the moment when I took a sip from the cup. I immediately wanted to throw it out, but I didn't, in fear that I might shower Mani with all my coffee, and also the others in the restaurant might think of me as an uncivilized brat. And then I thought that even that tiny cup was like a big barrel for me.

Oh the coffee was so bitter, I couldn't stand it. I couldn't even gulp down a sip let alone finish the whole cup. Mani told me that espresso is always like that. She said that if I didn't like it, why did I order it in the first place. I told her what I am saying here, and that is I confused the name of the coffee. I was ordering espresso but I had cuppaccino in mind. Oh my precious 1.50 pounds. :'( lol

Now I have made up my mind never to order anything unless I am absolutely truly madly deeply sure that what it is. ;)

2 comments:

Anon said...

I can imagine the bitterness u could have tasted in espresso. But dont u reckon if u only taste and order something which u have had before or tried before would make u a sort of monotonous and leave u without any adventure in life. I reckon life should be full of adventure , that's why u went to scotland so now bitter thoughts . Just take it in stride and say i know now one more taste "Espresso" in this world, of zillion tastes.

Anon said...

I can imagine the bitterness u could have tasted in espresso. But dont u reckon if u only taste and order something which u have had before or tried before would make u a sort of monotonous and leave u without any adventure in life. I reckon life should be full of adventure , that's why u went to scotland so now bitter thoughts . Just take it in stride and say i know now one more taste "Espresso" in this world, of zillion tastes.