Saturday 16 October 2004

A Chat with a Taxi Driver

A few days ago when I was in the market, and not in the mood to walk, I went to a nearby standing taxi and asked the driver if it was available. He said yes after which I asked what will he charge me. To that he instantly replied that the there was a meter in the taxi so he would charge whatever the reading on it. I agreed and sat in it.

Not being used to seeing a taxi with a meter I curiously asked about it. That driver explained to me the whole scheme and all. He added that the people who are educated appreciate the metered taxis but the others do not. And he complimented me as well by saying that I looked educated too. Then he asked me about my education. I told him the details, also adding the tiny detail of me studying in UK.

After hearing that he said something which amazed me. He asked me to apply my knowledge for the betterment of the country. He added that many girls in Pakistan study a lot and then just after completing their studies they become 'house wives' and waste all the knowledge. He requested me not to waste my knowledge just like that.

When the taxi driver was saying such revolutionized things I was amazed with astonishment. I used to think that only a very fraction of people and that too the educated people think this way. They are the ones who think that girls should also play a part in the progress of the country. But when that taxi driver said such stuff I was moved to think that maybe the thoughts of the whole nation are changing and a revolution is on the way. :)

[ Getting married is never a hurdle in the way of contribution towards the progress. It is just the general practice and beliefs that make it look so bad, which is a long discussion, and might touch it some time later ;) ]

2 comments:

Anon said...

I reckon , the taxi driver was right.. Girls in the eastern countries, where still u find girls confined to homes got to come out and walk in shoulder to shoulder with men to build our nations. We do badly need girls to contribute to the building of our nations ....

Anonymous said...

way to gooo Titlee Baji!!!!!!....sahar :)