Tuesday 13 December 2011

Inflation is Affecting Me: Anecdote of a Mobile Balance Recharge

Till some time ago, when I used to recharge my mobile balance with a scratch card of Rs. 300/-, a sensual female voice would announce that my credited amount is Rs. 285/-. Getting 15 rupees cut off just like that did use to make me feel bad but i was coping nicely; rather very nicely. 

Today when i was recharging my balance I noticed that the sensual voice providing instructions had changed. It was still the voice of a female but perhaps a different one. I didn't mind that at all. And why would I. But once the recharge process was finished and the lady announced my credited amount i was ENRAGED. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! 

That announcement was no less than a bombshell for me. I was told that out of my precious, hard-earned, dear 300 rupees, i got only "Doo Soo Sain-taa-lees Rupay" (Rs. 247/-). WHAT! 53 rupees cut off JUST LIKE THAT! There has to be a limit to deducting money just like that! I am going mad just thinking about this recharge just like that! 

I tried to look this up on Google to see if there was some mistake. But alas, to my dismay, the deduction was correct. At least i think it was. I found an information page on my mobile phone service provider which listed the following taxes: 
  • 5% service charges (on recharge face value)
  • 19.5% FED 
  • 10% Advance Income Tax apply on all charges
  • 2% operational fee will be applicable on all recharges
I couldn't make head or tail of this tax list as i didn't know which taxes were cut during my recharge, but i sure am annoyed. I think this annoyance and rage will last till the next few recharges. And then perhaps i will get used to it; just the way i am getting used to the other brutal atrocities committed against me, the Pakistani Citizen, by the government.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So that's where my balance goes!!!