Wednesday 6 April 2011

Seven Ways to Improve Your Writing Skills

I used to write stuff on paper long before the blog era. When the blog came I started writing online. I wrote everything that came to my mind (even rubbish). I still like writing but since I now have a small audience that reads my blog (and I want the numbers to increase), I really want to write quality content. I know I would never be able to churn up master literary pieces (ever) but I still want to keep improving the content. Here is a list of things that I do (or at least try to do) to improve my writing which i suggest to you too:

1. Keep writing. If you don’t write you wouldn’t know if you improved or not.

2. Keep reading. Reading content written by other people can remarkably improve your own writing.

3. Increase your vocabulary. It is important so that you can express your thoughts and ideas in a variety of ways. Reading helps.

4. Comment intelligently. This is the time where the web encourages interactivity. People are provided opportunities to interact with each other in different ways. One such way is “commenting” on other people’s stuff. This stuff may range from published writing, uploaded pictures, list of achievements; and the list can go on. When making any comment, try to make sure it makes sense and shows your real emotion (It does not mean for you to start harshly criticizing somebody’s work if you don’t like it).

5. Observe your surroundings. Keeping a vigilant eye on happenings around you will provide you with a chance to write about them later. The more detail you observe the better.

6. Do new stuff. When you do new things or go to new places, you get more exposure of the world. This exposure makes a base for new topics and experiences to write about and to share.

7. Just write! Write on every thing you see or think or feel. No topic, event, thought or feeling is worth discarding; rather it is worth a lot. You just need to, as somebody said, see the extraordinary in the ordinary.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, in your case you need to do 1) Write about new stuff as you already mentioned 2) Write in different styles just for a change

Monazza Talha said...

Thanks for adding to the list. About your point #2, i guess it would be a good idea. However, deviating from your own signature style may prove to be a bit difficult. But we should give new and difficult things a try.

-Monazza.

aabbyy said...

my view point is that one should explore
his writing skills by writing about variable topics but writing style should have individuality.

Asma

Monazza Talha said...

Yup Asma. Writing about different things and topics proves useful for the improvement. As i have already mentioned in my post. :-) Wish me luck on that! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Informative....