Monday 10 September 2007

Nawaz Sharif Returned, Nawaz Sharif Deported

Today there another drama took place in my country, Pakistan. Rather the military government made a fool of us all.

A former prime minister of Pakistan, Nawaz Sharif, was supposed to return back after 7 years in exile. He twice elected as the prime minister of the country. He was supposed to land at the Islamabad International Airport. It was also speculated that he will get a really warm welcome here and a big crowd would be there at the airport to greet him.

The military government also suspected that. And to prevent all these activities from occurring, the government made preparations. Sitting and old ministers of PML-N (political party of Nawaz Sharif) were arrested by saying that they were being arrested for their own safety. The roads to the airport were blocked. Almost all entrances into Rawalpindi (the twin city of Islamabad where the airport is located) were blocked. Many people who tried to pass through the barricades were arrested. There was tear gas shelling at places.

Due to all these measures taken by the government, it was impossible for many, like me, to reach their work places as the roads were blocked. Even if some were not blocked, there was the fear that the standing-by army might intervene and unnecessarily harass the passers by. All this made me stay home too. Rather I was strictly ordered by my father not to set a foot outside the house today. And I obeyed. Watched the happenings on the TV.

And then came the time when the plane of Nawaz Sharif landed. That too was shown from a far off place as the entry of media was banned in the airport. After about 5 hours of speculations the final news came that the former prime minister has been deported to Saudi Arabia. A fully fueled air bus was standing ready on the airport which was made the final transport for Nawaz Sharif that flew him away from the country.

It was an extremely sad news. I was really hoping that he would stay in the country and work towards achieving democracy in the country. I was even willing to vote for him in the elect ions but alas he had to meet such a fate, yet again. I do not know how he felt whilst being taken back. But I for one felt a grave pain deep inside. I kept wondering what had just happened. What was the military government trying to prove? Why was it so scared of a political leader? And most of all I thought that what will be the fate of my motherland, Pakistan.

1 comment:

Kashif said...

It was really sad for me as well.
But it always happens in dictatorship.

Anyway Benazir Bhutto has returned back though she shouldn't be.