Friday 22 July 2005

Counters

I just saw the preview of my blog, and that reminded me of something i had been thinking for a while. The thought is that it seems my life is being ruled by 'counters'. And the internet has a lot to do with it.

Let's see. Well, for one, there is a counter on my blog. [I know i put it there myself :-P] I keep checking the number it has reached. The higher the number goes, the better i feel. And deep inside my heart i want it to reach the highest. :-D

Then there are the scrap counters on Orkut. I have a total of 221 right now, but i love to see the count proceed ahead. [I also feel jealous of the ones who have more than a 1000 scraps. Also i feel sorry for the ones who have less than 10. :-D hehe]

The new e-mail message counter also is a wonderful one. Every time i log in to a messenger or my company e-mail account, and i get the news of 'so & so' new e-mails, it makes my heart beat faster. I feel really good about it.

And there are countless counters in the daily life too. How many movies seen? How many songs heard? [I have actually kept a log of all movies seen. ;-) Thinking of doing something similar for the songs too.] How many books read? How much 'work' done in how less time? Highest scores of games. And it goes on.

I actually like the counters. They, sort of, create an excitement, and encourage you to move ahead and reach the next numbr in line. They push you to keep going ahead. I could be wrong, but that's what i feel, for now. ;-)

No comments: