Wednesday 4 May 2005

Bad Driving Day

Saturday was a good day for me. I could do my bank related chores that day, could collect my sewn clothes from the tailor and had a get together in the evening.

But...

It was a bad driving-day for me. Maybe I was to blame too. But the other parties involved were no angels either.

First it was when I was happily going to Islamabad, a stupid driver spoilt my mood. I was on the road in front of the airport. I was in the right lane, he was in the left a little ahead of me. Suddenly that man came towards the right. He came so close that I had to apply brakes forcefully. And when I did that, he moved back to the left. I didn’t honk my horn or flash my lights at him. But in his side mirror he was trying to tell me with signs that there was a LOT of space there and I didn't HAVE TO apply brakes. :-P

Then similar thing was done by a bus when I was coming back to Pindi from the reunion. I was in the right most lane and the bus was in the middle one. When I was about to go ahead of it, while staying in my lane, it suddenly came towards right, right on to my car. This time I just pressed the horn and didn't take my hand off till the bus moved to its own lane. (Applied brakes too as I didn’t want to be crushed!) Felt like beating the hell out of the bus driver, but what could I do but to moan and complain inside. :-S

The worst came when I dropped off a pal and was going to go home. I was on the extreme left of the road, and had to turn back. At first a lot of cars were coming that way, so I couldn't break in the line. But then there came a time when I found some space. SO on almost zero speed I started turning the car. That time an overly enthusiastic 'uncle' tried to go past me in a hurry. He was not quick enough and my zero speed was maybe too fast. As a result his green scooter hit the top right edge of the bumper. He instantly stopped and glared at me with anger. (I wonder if I were a boy would he have uttered big fat abuses to me.) The only words that came out of his grunting mouth were 'drive carefully'. I knew it was his fault too, but I said sorry to him, turned my car and started my home ward journey.

The day was great but for driving maybe it was worse.

2 comments:

Laura Castelino said...

sounds just like bangalore, there is no concept of the lane system at all over here!!

Vivek said...

You should, have said Abbu Jaan [insert SNEER/SCROFF here] you still have another 100 years to live. Drive carefully!
If it’s his fault, GLARE. If it’s your fault GLARE even more, he could have killed you by jumping in yer path!