Wednesday 21 July 2004

See ya, Bye

When I was back home in Pakistan, I used the phrase 'Allah Hafiz' (meaning may God keep you safe) to say bye to people. When I came to UK I was a bit confused about what to say. Every time I would just stop myself from saying 'Allah Hafiz' to people. Not that I didn't want them to be kept safe by God, but it's just that they wouldn't understand what I was saying.
 
So I had to choose from one of the phrases already used here. Some would say 'see ya later', some would say just 'Bye'. But I had to mingle the two and choose the phrase 'See ya, Bye' for myself.
 
Not that I have any complaints about it, but it becomes really hilarious when I am on the phone. Whenever someone calls I say 'Hi' or 'Hello' which is fine. But when I have to say 'Bye' I act like a fool. I am so used to saying 'see ya bye' that even on the phone to people who are strangers to me I say 'see ya, bye'. I know that I am not going to see them ever, but still that's the thing which comes to my mind to say and I blurt it out. Only after putting down the receiver I realize what I had said.
 
But then I cannot undo anything. Already made a fool out of myself I remain a fool. But what I can do is laugh about it, and let the whole world laugh with me too. ;) 



No comments: